A sponsored sports match or sporting event for PEPY… grab your running shoes! Sponsored sports events are often the most successful way of raising funds for your charity of choice. People love to see how you’ll be challenging yourself, and want to support YOU as well as the good cause.
Below are some useful tips and questions to consider when planning to undertake a sponsored event.
Hints and tips
- What activity or sport event do you want to organise? – Are you running a 10km or doing a bike ride? Maybe you want to organize a soccer tournament? Or a Sponsored Skip? If you’re feeling energetic, why not combine a few ideas: create the PEPY Pentathlon!
- Many big, well-organized events such as half-marathons or bike races ask you to apply to take part a long time before the event. Make sure you’re aware of closing dates so you’re not disappointed.
- If it’s a real physical challenge, please make sure you take advice and do the appropriate training. We don’t want any injuries!
- What is your aim? – are you creating awareness of PEPY? Networking with PEPY donors? Trying to break your fundraising target? Or all of the above?
- Be aware if other friends are doing something similar for their own causes. Maybe you can train together and learn about each other’s interests in development? Or host an event that supports both causes?
- How are you planning on collecting sponsorship money? The easiest way for dollars-donators is by creating a fundraising page on our website, and for those in the UK through CDEF and Virgin Money Giving.
- If you’re organizing your own event make sure you have enough room and equipment for your activity.
- If your event is a personal challenge that doesn’t involve other people, perhaps you might want to invite the people who sponsored you to a small event afterwards to let them know where their money will be going.
- Distribute the PEPY event sign-up form to get people involved in your activity.
- Hand out sponsorship forms to your participants or get them to set up their own fundraising page on the PEPY website. See our downloadable, step-by-step guide for more details.
Making it PEPY-proof
- Circulate your sponsorship page or forms around your friends well in advance of the event.
- If you’re entering a race, ask our team in Cambodia for a PEPY t-shirt for you to run in! You can also use our logo if you wish – just let us know.
- Inform donors about our sister organization, PEPY Tours via your email or fundraising page.
- Document your event with pictures and send them to PEPY.
- Let us know how it went! Live tweet your event (find us at @pepycambodia), and share the outcome of your party through Facebook and Twitter.
- If you’re hosting a sports event rather than completing a personal challenge, check out the PEPY proof tips on the Pool Party How-To page for more ideas.
- Fill in our PEPY event feedback form, so that we can help future events just like yours!
If you have any questions or thoughts about creating your very own sponsored sports event for PEPY, we’d love to hear from you. The Communications Team are waiting for your email: [email protected]